[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns

Michael Stenner wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 05:46:30AM -0800, sunset wrote:
>> Could someone give some examples of correct proxy format in the yum.conf and
>> / or .repo files ?
>> but though the internal proxy is working for web pages, yum always responds
>> with:
>> Setting up repositories:
>> Core
>> sits there for 30secs and then
>> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
>> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core.
>
> I don't remember for sure about the error messages but this may be a
> problem with your baseurl, not your proxy.  Can you post the .repo
> file (or yum.conf if it's not in a .repo)?
standard fedora core 5 .repo file.
I have changed the:
cachedir=/home/install/software/linux/fedora/core/5/yum
so that a mirroring process can easily update the downloaded
rpms/headers from another (more up2date) machine: but I don't think it
is either of these because it had been working until the network was
changed to only allow external access via the proxy server (http and ftp).

>> The wingate proxy logs all pages requested as well as active connections,
>> but never sees an attempt from the machine in question. I can install /
>> packet trace with ethereal or maybe I'm just doing something wrong ?
>
> An ethereal trace would confirm/deny what I'm saying.  I suspect yum
> is barfing on the url before it even tries it.
OK, the machine tries to directly dns lookup the address of the AAAA
record of fedora.redhat.com, then A of the same. Within our network,
only the proxy machine is allowed to do this, so yum never gets dns answers.

Our other machines, and firefox on this machine can happily browse the
internet including fedora.redhat.com using the proxy, and without
requiring dns resolution to work for themselves.

Is this the expected situation with yum at the moment:
yum 2.6.0-1
rpm 4.4.2-15.2
?

DaveT.