[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:33:42PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> >An ethereal trace would confirm/deny what I'm saying.  I suspect yum
> >is barfing on the url before it even tries it.
> OK, the machine tries to directly dns lookup the address of the AAAA
> record of fedora.redhat.com, then A of the same. Within our network,
> only the proxy machine is allowed to do this, so yum never gets dns answers.

Are you saying you cannot do dns lookups in your environment?

> Our other machines, and firefox on this machine can happily browse the
> internet including fedora.redhat.com using the proxy, and without
> requiring dns resolution to work for themselves.

I'm a little surprised that these other programs work if they cannot
resolve the name.

> Is this the expected situation with yum at the moment:
> yum 2.6.0-1
> rpm 4.4.2-15.2

Without DNS lookups... I'd have to say "yes"... that's precisely what
I expect to happen :) I'm absolutely willing to look into this, but
the offending code is almost certainly part of the core python modules
and not something authored by us... as such, it's harder to solve
those problems with severely ugly hackery.

Please confirm that I'm grasping the situation... are you saying that
these other programs "blindly" ask the proxy to connect them and let
the proxy do the lookup?  I certainly understand that it would work.
I'm just making sure that's what's going on.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619