[Yum] Proxy settings are ignored - needs working dns

Michael Stenner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:33:42PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
>>> An ethereal trace would confirm/deny what I'm saying.  I suspect yum
>>> is barfing on the url before it even tries it.
>> OK, the machine tries to directly dns lookup the address of the AAAA
>> record of fedora.redhat.com, then A of the same. Within our network,
>> only the proxy machine is allowed to do this, so yum never gets dns answers.
>
> Are you saying you cannot do dns lookups in your environment?
Correct. Only the proxy is allowed real connection to the internet,
including dns.

>> Our other machines, and firefox on this machine can happily browse the
>> internet including fedora.redhat.com using the proxy, and without
>> requiring dns resolution to work for themselves.
>
> I'm a little surprised that these other programs work if they cannot
I think they simply pass the whole url to the proxy.  In ethereal the
Follow TCP stream shows :
GET http://www.redhat.com/ui.jsp? etc.
when set to go direct:
GET /faq/FAQ_85 etc. but connecting to the real site ip.

>> Is this the expected situation with yum at the moment:
>> yum 2.6.0-1
>> rpm 4.4.2-15.2
>
> Without DNS lookups... I'd have to say "yes"... that's precisely what
> I expect to happen :) I'm absolutely willing to look into this, but
> the offending code is almost certainly part of the core python modules
> and not something authored by us... as such, it's harder to solve
> those problems with severely ugly hackery.
>
> Please confirm that I'm grasping the situation... are you saying that
> these other programs "blindly" ask the proxy to connect them
The client (= browser) only talks to the proxy. No DNS lookups are
performed.

> and let
> the proxy do the lookup?  I certainly understand that it would work.
> I'm just making sure that's what's going on.

DaveT.