[Yum] yumgroups.xml and general yum questions

I have a couple questions that I have been unable to find the answer
to, and am hoping someone here could shed some light on for me.

I have a yumgroups.xml file that contains several groups, one of which
is a group called 'baseline'. The goal of this group is for it to
contain a list of all packages that I need a specific version of
installed. For example, the current (testing) config looks something
like this:

  <group>
   <id>somegroup</id>
   <uservisible>true</uservisible>
   <name>somegroup</name>
   <packagelist>
     <packagereq type="mandatory">distcache</packagereq>
   </packagelist>
  </group>
  <group>
   <id>baseline</id>
   <uservisible>true</uservisible>
   <name>baseline</name>
   <packagelist>
     <packagereq type="mandatory" ver="2.6.9" rel="1.11_FC2">kernel</packagereq>
     <packagereq type="optional">distcache</packagereq>
   </packagelist>
  </group>

Unfortunately, this isn't working as desired...

The two questions that I have are:

How can I specify a specific version of a package and have yum update
to that version, but not a newer version, even if a newer version
exists in one of my repositories? When I run 'yum groupupdate
baseline' with the above config, yum want to update the kernel package
to 2.6.10-somerel, although 2.6.9-1.11_FC2 exists in one of my
repositories. I originally had

     <packagereq type="mandatory" version="2.6.9-1.11_FC2">kernel</packagereq>

which didn't work either. The current version is based on a look at
the dtd, which appears to want 'ver' and 'rel' strings, rather than
'version'. One more thing to point out is that the epoch for this
package is null, I saw that the epoch could be specified in the
packagereq, but am assuming that not specifying it should work in this
case.

Also, I am trying to find the correct syntax to have yum update a
package to the newest version if that package is already installed on
a machine, and ignore it if it's not currently installed. I'm not sure
if yum can currently do this from within a group, but it seems like a
reasonable piece of functionality.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better way overall to go about
this, I'd love to hear them. The ideal setup would be to have several
groups, and then ideally one additional group (baseline) that contains
a version for packages in every group. In this scenario, you could do
a 'yum groupinstall somegroup' when a machine is deployed, and then a
'yum groupupdate baseline' at any point to ensure that the machine has
the best versions of all packages from the 'somegroup' group that it
should. This would eliminate needing to define versions in each
individual group, and keep all of that info in one place. I'd like to
avoid just doing a 'yum update', as I like the ability to have newer
versions of packages in my repository prior to pushing the latest
version out to all of my machines.