[Yum] yumgroups.xml and general yum questions

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Marc Riddle wrote:

> I have a couple questions that I have been unable to find the answer
> to, and am hoping someone here could shed some light on for me.
>
> I have a yumgroups.xml file that contains several groups, one of which
> is a group called 'baseline'. The goal of this group is for it to
> contain a list of all packages that I need a specific version of
> installed. For example, the current (testing) config looks something
> like this:
[...]
> Unfortunately, this isn't working as desired...

Yumgroups can't be used for that.

> The two questions that I have are:
>
> How can I specify a specific version of a package and have yum update
> to that version, but not a newer version, even if a newer version
> exists in one of my repositories? When I run 'yum groupupdate
> baseline' with the above config, yum want to update the kernel package
> to 2.6.10-somerel, although 2.6.9-1.11_FC2 exists in one of my
> repositories. I originally had
>
>     <packagereq type="mandatory" version="2.6.9-1.11_FC2">kernel</packagereq>
>
> which didn't work either. The current version is based on a look at
> the dtd, which appears to want 'ver' and 'rel' strings, rather than
> 'version'. One more thing to point out is that the epoch for this
> package is null, I saw that the epoch could be specified in the
> packagereq, but am assuming that not specifying it should work in this
> case.

Yum itself has no such functionality but with yum >= 2.3.3 you can use
"versionlock" plugin (from yum-utils) to achieve this:
http://devel.linux.duke.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/yum-utils/plugins/versionlock/
Enable it and run 'rpm -qa > /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list' and
yum wont update any packages in that list beyong their versions on the
system. The list can be of course generated from packages in a directory,
hand edited or whatever.

> Also, I am trying to find the correct syntax to have yum update a
> package to the newest version if that package is already installed on
> a machine, and ignore it if it's not currently installed. I'm not sure
> if yum can currently do this from within a group, but it seems like a
> reasonable piece of functionality.

'yum update <somepackage>' works at least with yum 2.3.4 and I'd suppose
with older versions as well.

 	- Panu -