[Yum] Scripting Yum

On Thursday, 04 August 2005, at 16:48:49 (-0400),
seth vidal wrote:

> I didn't assume that. I assumed I have a target audience and target
> use case and I don't like feature creep.

I don't believe in feature creep.  Needs and capabilities change over
time.  That's a reality of software development.

> I refused b/c I didn't want him wasting his time on something I
> wasn't going to include. I was being nice rather than have him work
> on something to no end.

But up until the paragraph below, you didn't provide a single bit of
useful direction.  You just said, in essence, "write python or fuck
off!"  Directing him to the yum-utils package to write a wrapper
instead of a patch is far more useful.

> yum won't get a --scriptable flag. It just won't. If he wants to
> work on a yum-util to produce output like that, fine. But it's up to
> him to maintain it, of course. I'd rather see more work go to making
> the module api easier to use.

Perhaps if you warn him, or other folks, of where you see weaknesses,
those writing utilities will help fix the problems.

> I'm glad to hear it. But that's not what yum is about.

Well, that begs the question:  What *is* yum about?  Draw the line in
the sand so you have something to point to in response to similar
future enquiries.  :-)

I sensed a momentary interest in XML-based output (and input?).  What
would you think of such a beast?

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>
 "You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird."