[Yum] Newbie question

Hello and thanks for yum.  I am trying to move from RH7.3 to Fedora Core 2
in two steps - ie RH7.3->RH8->FC2.

Three questions:

1) Is there a description of the yum.conf file somewhere?  Like a HOWTO or
something?  Particularly for moving 7.3->8?

2) If conflicts arise, is it normal for the upgrade procedure to stop
after downloading the headers or can this be overridden?

3) I actually have the RH8 and FC2 disks.  Can yum work with these (or
copies on disk where the RPMS contents are all in one directory) instead
of downloading (I can always update the packages later)?  Or is it better
to use the standard RH upgrade facility?

Details:

I installed the appropriate yum and successfully updated everything in
RH7.3.  I modified the yum.conf file to move to RH8 thus:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
gpgcheck=0
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
failovermethod=priority		# First listed baseurl first each time

#[base]
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
#baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - os
#baseurl=http://ayo.ie.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/os

#[updates]
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/updates/$releasever/
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - updates
#baseurl=http://ayo.ie.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/updates

#[freshrpms]
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
#baseurl=http://ayo.ie.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

[redhat8]
name=Redhat 8
baseurl=http://ftp.uk3.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/os/
#	http://uk2.freshrpms.net/sites/ftp.freshrpms.net/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/os/
#	http://ie.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/os/

[redhat8freshrpms]
name=Redhat 8 freshrpms
baseurl=http://ftp.uk3.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/freshrpms/
#	http://uk2.freshrpms.net/sites/ftp.freshrpms.net/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/freshrpms/
#	http://ie.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ayo/redhat/8.0/i386/freshrpms/

Note I commented out the RH7.3 [base] section as yum kept interrogating
RH7.3 for obvious reasons.

yum -t -y upgrade then downloads the headers for RH8 but there were some
conflicts - eg postgresql-python and python.  I removed these various
packages and reinstalled them and the conflicts went away except for
between initscripts and kbd.  Removing the former would be pretty
fundamental if anything went wrong so I removed and reinstalled kbdconfig
- I could find nothing else that would cause the conflict.  This now
reports various packages that need libnewt.so.0.50 (not provided) so I
tried installing newt (where that file lives) with the same response.  So
at the moment I am stuck with RH7.3 but almost all the headers installed
for RH8...

TIA

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              a.einstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com