[Yum] Newbie question

On 2/13/05 2:04 AM, "John Logsdon" <j.logsdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello and thanks for yum.  I am trying to move from RH7.3 to Fedora Core 2
> in two steps - ie RH7.3->RH8->FC2.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) Is there a description of the yum.conf file somewhere?  Like a HOWTO or
> something?  Particularly for moving 7.3->8?
Yes, 'man yum.conf' should help a bit.

> 2) If conflicts arise, is it normal for the upgrade procedure to stop
> after downloading the headers or can this be overridden?
I don't think yum will continue if there are unresolved conflicts; doing so
could/would put your machine in a very bad state...

> 3) I actually have the RH8 and FC2 disks.  Can yum work with these (or
> copies on disk where the RPMS contents are all in one directory) instead
> of downloading (I can always update the packages later)?  Or is it better
> to use the standard RH upgrade facility?
This seems like a lot of work in order to upgrade to Fedora Core.  I would
recommend getting the CDs for FC3 (since FC2 won't be supported much longer
anyway), and use those to do an upgrade via the installer.  This should save
you many headaches :)  But to answer your question, I believe yum can work
with these by using file://path/to/packages in your yum.conf.  Of course,
I'm not sure if this functionality exists in the older 7.3/8.0 yum rpms.

-Jeff