[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:15:01 -0400, Jarret Raim <jarito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > The reason torrents work is b/c people leave their downloaders running.
> > People implicitly do not want to leave their downloader running in this
> > case. They want to udpate and get along with life.
>
> Yum continue with its work as soon as the *download* is complete, just
> like HTTP. The client uploaded runs in the background trying to maintain
> the health of the swarm.

I'm not sure implicitly means what you think it means ;)  As
previously mentioned, there is a fairly decent sized group of folks
with upload bandwidth to spare who WOULD leave their machines seeding.

> > Bittorrent hasn't had any security problems but bittorrent should not
> > ever run as root. Yum has no choice but to run as root.
>
> Amen. This is still a beta system. The client and server managers
> already do not run as root, but right now the downloader spawned from
> yum does, albeit for a short period of time. We plan to fix this.
> Nothing but the very minimum will run as root.

I don't really see what the problem is with running bittorrent as
root, but if Jarret is making sure that it doesn't run as root then I
guess this problem is addressed already.

Greg