[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

> For question 1, it sounds like Jarret's implementation is a fairly
> additive and modular one.  It sounds like  Bittorrent is just another
> way to get the file and not a total replacement for ftp/http/file
> based retrieval.  This way, the owner of the reference server can
> decide if a file warrants using bittorrent or not.  For example: new
> version of something big like OpenOfficeorg should be distributed via
> torrent.  New version of "cat", distribute as an RPM direct download.
> I've also joined the bittorrent list so that I can broach this subject
> there and hopefully ask about the "overly popular file' problem.

The reason torrents work is b/c people leave their downloaders running.
People implicitly do not want to leave their downloader running in this
case. They want to udpate and get along with life.

> 3 Doesn't seem like a terrible issue to me.  AFAICT Bittorrent has yet
> to have a security problem identified in three years of the project
> running - not a bad record.  I'm not as sure of Yum's history, but I
> imagine it is good as well.  Clearly an audit of the two trees is a
> good idea - fortunately this is a rather active group!

Bittorrent hasn't had any security problems but bittorrent should not
ever run as root. Yum has no choice but to run as root.

-sv