[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

seth vidal wrote:

>>A friend and I have been working on this and are getting close to a
>>public beta. Hold on for a week or two and we will have something for
>>you :). Our internal stuff is a success, we just need to clean up the
>>code and maybe get a real repository to help us as Lehigh University
>>doesn't really have the bandwidth to spend.
>>
>>If anyone on the list is intersted in helping out, please post here,
>>email or IM me at jarito030506.
>>

>You've worked on merging yum and bittorrent for access?
>
>What branch of yum? How did you implement it vis-a-vis urlgrabber?

Well, we weren't planning on releasing information so soon, but since I
am sure the people on this list will be the ones to help with the beta
later, it's probably worth it.

We are using the current version of yum that comes with Fedora Core 2
(2.0.7). However, our changes to the actual yum code are very minor
(less than 30 or so lines I would say) so all changes should be forward
and backward compatible. We also included one extra file to handle the
BitTorrent connections. There are some extra files that implement the
background uploading and an intelligent server manager that helps to get
the swarms started.

Our implementation basically just hooks into urlgrabber. The
headers.info file is modified on the server to point to a .torrent file
instead of a .rpm file. When url grabber detects that it is downloading
a .torrent, it trips our code. Our code downloads the .torrent normally
then starts the BitTorrent process which continues with the download.
When the download is complete, yum contacts our client upload manager
and tells it that there is another file to seed. Yum then continues
normally and, with the exception of some extra debug output, the user
and yum can't tell and don't care if the file was downloaded via HTTP or
BT. Yum completes its work normally, but the client manager runs in the
background continuing to upload on the swarms that can use it.

A warning, we still have to clean code and implement some config file
stuff so it will be a little time before the public beta. I will
announce it here when we are ready and you will hopefully see it on
Slashdot :).

Thanks,
Jarret Raim
jarito AT lehigh DOT edu