[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

I have copied some of icon's comments from
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-February/msg01146.html

+++++++++++++
1. Bittorrent is highly inefficient for a large collection of small
files. You will have to start a separate tracker item for each rpm,
and for some of them the amount of traffic generated just tracking the
p2p clients will outweigh the savings of using bittorrent. I would
imagine that several thousands of tracker items would also be quite
processor-intensive.
2. You have to specifically punch holes in the firewall for bittorrent
-- not one, but a range of ports, actually. Something most people will
not do, so they will be constantly leeching.
3. Yum runs as root, so you suddenly have a very large amount of code
(yum+bittorrent libs) listening as root for incoming connections.
Yikes. Alternatively, you'd have to fork a downloader process and
communicate with it using some methods. Either way is painful.
+++++++++++++++++

For question 1, it sounds like Jarret's implementation is a fairly
additive and modular one.  It sounds like  Bittorrent is just another
way to get the file and not a total replacement for ftp/http/file
based retrieval.  This way, the owner of the reference server can
decide if a file warrants using bittorrent or not.  For example: new
version of something big like OpenOfficeorg should be distributed via
torrent.  New version of "cat", distribute as an RPM direct download.
I've also joined the bittorrent list so that I can broach this subject
there and hopefully ask about the "overly popular file' problem.

2 is clearly a problem.  However, it seems like a known drawback
rather than a showstopper.  First, even with some leechers we would be
better off than ftp/http only, right?  Second, many people actively
work as seeds for files that they don't need simply to help other
users.  I am one such person ;)  The Linux Mirroring Project is full
of lots more such people and we could certainly get their help as
well.

3 Doesn't seem like a terrible issue to me.  AFAICT Bittorrent has yet
to have a security problem identified in three years of the project
running - not a bad record.  I'm not as sure of Yum's history, but I
imagine it is good as well.  Clearly an audit of the two trees is a
good idea - fortunately this is a rather active group!

How encouraging for me to return from dinner and read that smart
people have already put good thoughts and effort into this idea!

Greg