[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I agree, and also think that it is MUCH easier to get "accidentally"
> hurt with upgrade (and in the future will be easier to get hurt with
> --obsoletes).  These seems like the sort of command that should:

How can you possibly get hurt?  The only way to do a dist upgrade
currently is to manually change the yum.conf file or manually install
the new .*-releases rpm.  Generally the only time you'll use obsoletes
is when upgrading to a new distro version, which requires extra work anyway.

>   a) Ignore the -y flag.  Well, OK, maybe not as an admin might want to
> upgrade a whole network with a script...I suppose the -y flag in general
> is "you better know what you're doing or suffer the consequences"
> territory.

Exactly.  -y does what it does so that it can be automated.

>   b) Have a warning/tellmetwice built into it somewhere.  One of yum's
> many virtues is that it is written pretty carefully to protect the
> ignorant from their own thoughtless or uninformed actions.  Something
> like a little panel that says:
>
>  This update will process all obsoletes!  This can have unexpected
>  consequences if a package you rely heavily on is obsoleted!  Proceed
>  anyway (y/N)? -->
>
> More or less force the use of a -y flag OR make them acknowledge the
> warning (and then they'll have to approve each action later on as well,
> interactively).

You're describing an issue that should be faced when it's brought up,
not planned for.  I've reached the point in my software development
career that says, don't sweat too much over the unknown scenarios
because they probably won't come up anyway.  What you're describing is
such a minor case, it will probably never be an issue.  How often are
packages obsoleted really?

Joseph