[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Garrick Staples wrote:

> I know it's just my opinion, but I prefer the seperate commands.  Updating a
> few packages and upgrading the entire distro are two very different actions,
> and should be reflected as such by the differing commands.  The confusion is
> just a documentation problem.  Maybe change the command to borrow from debian's
> terminology and use "distupgrade".

I agree, and also think that it is MUCH easier to get "accidentally"
hurt with upgrade (and in the future will be easier to get hurt with
--obsoletes).  These seems like the sort of command that should:

  a) Ignore the -y flag.  Well, OK, maybe not as an admin might want to
upgrade a whole network with a script...I suppose the -y flag in general
is "you better know what you're doing or suffer the consequences"
territory.

  b) Have a warning/tellmetwice built into it somewhere.  One of yum's
many virtues is that it is written pretty carefully to protect the
ignorant from their own thoughtless or uninformed actions.  Something
like a little panel that says:

 This update will process all obsoletes!  This can have unexpected
 consequences if a package you rely heavily on is obsoleted!  Proceed
 anyway (y/N)? -->

More or less force the use of a -y flag OR make them acknowledge the
warning (and then they'll have to approve each action later on as well,
interactively).

   rgb

> --
> Garrick Staples, Linux/HPCC Administrator
> University of Southern California

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx