[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I agree, and also think that it is MUCH easier to get "accidentally"
> hurt with upgrade (and in the future will be easier to get hurt with
> --obsoletes).  These seems like the sort of command that should:
>
>   a) Ignore the -y flag.  Well, OK, maybe not as an admin might want to
> upgrade a whole network with a script...I suppose the -y flag in general
> is "you better know what you're doing or suffer the consequences"
> territory.
>
>   b) Have a warning/tellmetwice built into it somewhere.  One of yum's
> many virtues is that it is written pretty carefully to protect the
> ignorant from their own thoughtless or uninformed actions.  Something
> like a little panel that says:
>
>  This update will process all obsoletes!  This can have unexpected
>  consequences if a package you rely heavily on is obsoleted!  Proceed
>  anyway (y/N)? -->
>
> More or less force the use of a -y flag OR make them acknowledge the
> warning (and then they'll have to approve each action later on as well,
> interactively).

Why are you advocating dumbing down to the level of windoze? Please
do not do this. If I want to use the feature I want to use it and I am
responsible for my actions. If you feel this is really necessary please
put a switch in the config file that will allow this "feature" to be
turned off. To me this is just like doing "rm filename" and having it
ask "are you sure". Of course I am sure I typed it. If that was not
what I wanted in the first place, I will still most likely tell it
yes, because 99% of the time I answer yes. Why should this time be any
different? By the time I figure out it was not what I wanted it is too
late anyway. So what is the point??

Just my $.02

Tom