[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:43:53AM -0500, Tom Diehl alleged:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > I agree, and also think that it is MUCH easier to get "accidentally"
> > hurt with upgrade (and in the future will be easier to get hurt with
> > --obsoletes).  These seems like the sort of command that should:
> >
> >   a) Ignore the -y flag.  Well, OK, maybe not as an admin might want to
> > upgrade a whole network with a script...I suppose the -y flag in general
> > is "you better know what you're doing or suffer the consequences"
> > territory.
> >
> >   b) Have a warning/tellmetwice built into it somewhere.  One of yum's
> > many virtues is that it is written pretty carefully to protect the
> > ignorant from their own thoughtless or uninformed actions.  Something
> > like a little panel that says:
> >
> >  This update will process all obsoletes!  This can have unexpected
> >  consequences if a package you rely heavily on is obsoleted!  Proceed
> >  anyway (y/N)? -->
> >
> > More or less force the use of a -y flag OR make them acknowledge the
> > warning (and then they'll have to approve each action later on as well,
> > interactively).
>
> Why are you advocating dumbing down to the level of windoze? Please
> do not do this. If I want to use the feature I want to use it and I am
> responsible for my actions. If you feel this is really necessary please
> put a switch in the config file that will allow this "feature" to be

This is the constant tug-and-pull that is yum's userbase.  Is yum a swiss army
knife for admins, or is it a convenience tool for newbs?  It's hard to be both.

As long as switches always exist for noninteractivity, I'm happy.  When the
output gets easier to parse, I'll be even happier.  Because personally, I'm
always trying to script with yum.

University of Southern California