[Yum] update or upgrade?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:

> >  and adds programs it believes the average user should have
>
> He - that was an interesting remark. What makes yum think that you
> should have a specific package?
> I mean - it is all requires and provides. I would think any run would
> result in a global hunt for unsatisfied requires?
> Or am I wrong?
> Can the repository mark certain packages as being "should have"?

I think that the difference is that upgrades handle obsoletes (as listed
in the RPM dependencies etc).  An update will only update your existing
configuration; and upgrade may completely remove an obsolete package and
replace it with the upgrade's "equivalent" choice and (hopefully
transparently, but sometimes that is not possible) manage the migration
of any configuration data.

So update is lovely as it contains "no surprises" (usually:-).  Upgrade
is also lovely as it moves you up to a whole new revision,
automagically, usually, without reinstallation BUT it is also riskier
because unless one works carefully and does the upgrade in several
steps, actually LOOKING BEFOREHAND to see what yum is going to do and
figuring out what you might want to preserve or skip, the upgrade may
"surprise" you by dumping that lovely suite of programs you've been
relying on since the mid 80's that somebody has decided is finally ready
for that Great /Dev/Null in The Sky.

(something Zen about that image...:-)

   rgb