[Yum] Warning: don't let yum update update yum

 >> BAD KEY ID errors are coming from the gpg checking in yum - did this
new yum update replace the yum.conf file and/or enable gpgchecking by
default. <<

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The "BAD KEY ID" errors were NOT on the box
with the recent broken yum update. Perhaps I should have kept that for a
new thread.

In fact I was able to check the "BAD KEY ID" box yesterday afternoon. It
DID do an update of yum during its first yum update after FC1 was
installed. As far as I can tell, that upgrade worked correctly. The "BAD
KEY ID" thing showed up several updates later.

I have never seen my yum.conf replaced during an update of yum. My
yum.conf is modified to include my repositories. I got a yum.conf.rpmnew
as expected.

That yum.conf.rpmnew does have "gpgcheck=1" while my yum.conf does not -
yet.

 >> also - why did you think your rpmdb needed to be rebuilt? You've not
reported anything that makes me think an rpmdb needed rebuilding. <<

I did a google for "BAD KEY ID" and found an rpm discussion (not
involving yum) that seemed similar. That discussion included a procedure
to backup /var/lib/rpm, rename Pubkeys, and run rpm --rebuild. That did
fix the problem on that box.

It still does not seem yum related to me. But, I thought it worth
mentioning in case it rang a bell for someone better informed.

ckent