[Yum] Re: Survey of Use

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:34:04AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, jonathan pickard wrote:
>
> > WRTT HOWTO I believe that the TOC is in the right order as you need to
> > set-up the server (ftp in my case) before you can run YUM.
>
> but (and i'm guessing here) i would think that the majority of folks who
> are introduced to yum for the first time are going to want to know,
> quickly and concisely, how to run it as a *client*.  (from what i've seen
> in the survey results, the majority of people on this list can be
> considered fairly "elite" in that many of them have set up their own
> repositories.  but that doesn't fairly represent the beginners.)

I'm picking a fairly random place to weigh in here.  Let me just say
this:

  I think y'all are spending WAY too much energy trying to decide
  whether client vs server use should be up front.  It's not that
  important.  Spend your time writing the doc.  That's a wonderful
  contribution.

My personal take on such issues is this: I'm slightly concerned with
the NUMBER of people of each type, but I'm more concerned with the
level of sophistication and investment.  The random 16-year-old geek
may be confused by server-stuff up front or be unwilling to figure out
where to find client stuff.  However, Jeff Leet, who's decided to
switch his company with it's 250 machines over to yum is probably
capable of parsing a table of contents to find out what he needs.

Therefore, I vote client up-front.

More important, though, is to simply write the darned thing.  Those of
you who are doing the writing should just decide.  Draw straws or
something.  Enthusiasm is a terrible thing to waste on silly
discussions like this :)

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx