[Yum] Re: Survey of Use

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, jonathan pickard wrote:

> WRTT HOWTO I believe that the TOC is in the right order as you need to
> set-up the server (ftp in my case) before you can run YUM.

but (and i'm guessing here) i would think that the majority of folks who
are introduced to yum for the first time are going to want to know,
quickly and concisely, how to run it as a *client*.  (from what i've seen
in the survey results, the majority of people on this list can be
considered fairly "elite" in that many of them have set up their own
repositories.  but that doesn't fairly represent the beginners.)

(as an analogy, if someone knew nothing about, say, DNS, it seems natural
to first explain how it works at the client level, *then* go on to server
configuration.  my point is simply that, to make yum accessible, complete
newbies *need* to be told how to start using it.  once they're
comfortable, they can make the decision as to whether they want to go
further and create their own repositories.)

just FYI, i'm putting together a yum intro that will become part of a RH
admin courseware manual, and one of the first things i'm going to do is
explain the files/directories that come with yum.  IMHO, there's nothing
that sets the stage better than making sure someone understands all the
parts of a package and what they're for, as in:

  /usr/bin/
	yum
	yum-arch
  /var/cache/yum/

  /etc/yum.conf
  /etc/init.d/yum
  /etc/logrotate.d/yum
  /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron

  /usr/share/yum/
  /usr/share/doc/yum-*

the way my manual is structured, by the time we hit the chapter on SW
management, students will have already covered:

  - logging and log files
  - cron and task scheduling
  - service management and /etc/init.d

so none of the above will come as a shock and it should all make perfect
sense.  and it gives folks an instant picture of all the parts and how
they hang together.  at that point, i start with how to use "yum" at the
client level, and so on.

  anyway, just my $0.03 cdn.  if i were a beginner, i just want a quick
overview to the package, then just start showing me how to use it, that's
all.

rday