[Yum] Removable media support in yum

Michael Stenner wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:54:55PM +0400, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
>

>>Michael Stenner wrote:
>>

>>>If all of the patches and features were guaranteed to get into yum,
>>>then I would agree with you.  However, if you release a program based
>>>on yum that has code and functionality that never appears in yum
>>>itself, then that is by definition a fork.  If you do that, then to
>>>avoid ambiguity, you might consider naming it something other than
>>>"yum".
>>>

>>No-no-no!
>>I mean what i only want to build package with some patches
>>(like RedHat and other distributors do). Look for example
>>on emacs or kernel packages in RH.  It's contains tons of patches
>>but still named as 'emacs' or 'kernel'. Yes, i understand what
>>some patches can be added to main YUM.
>>

>Bugfixes and changing default settings are one thing.  Adding major
>functionality, config syntax, and new executables in /usr/bin/ are
>quite another.  These are pretty big differences for two packages with
>the same name and version number.

So, you'll see redhat kernel package? It's add lot's of stuff to kernel,
including new memory management model and sheduler.

>You'll rarely find two packages of emacs with the same version that
>cause the program to fail utterly and completely when you switch, or
>to have major functionality disappear.

Yes but if lots of users like this functionality why this changes not
in main branch? :)

>I understand your point, but I think we're drawing the line in
>different places.  I thing http keepalive (or reget) would be a fine
>example of a 'patch'.  The config, interface, and user experience is
>the same with or without it.  It's just a minor performance
>difference.  You can add it or drop it and nothing breaks.
>
>  If your
>srpms included tarballs from linux.duke.edu/projects/yum + patches
>of this nature, then I would not call it a fork either.

Okey, so, how can i give to users way to use CD and GUI with
yum? I can't persuade Seth to include all of my patches cause it's
don't realy need for lots of peoples in US. For example
yum still traffic-hungry application. Yum still doesn't work
well with CD etc. I absolutely understand what in US it's
doesn't matter cause low cost of traffic. But for example
in Russia and Ukraine we pay more than 0.1$ per megabyte.
And our salary between 100 and 500 dollars :)
Another example is this bored i18n patch.

I realy don't understand what i need to do. If i can't produce
rpm with my patches, did you see any other way to add functionality to yum?
I don't try to flame but i realy want to know how to do it.

Thanks for answers!

IRC: irc.freenode.net #asplinux                Grigory Bakunov
ICQ: 51369901                        ASPLinux Development Team
Life would be so much easier if
                        we could just look at the source code.