[Yum] Removable media support in yum

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:32:03PM +0400, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> Yes, i understand. What did you think if i build src.rpm with my
> patches and provides it to peoples? I don't think about fork, i
> think about 'bleeding edge supercustomized powerfull yum with
> patches for CD support, GUI and separate repository-config
> directory' :)

If all of the patches and features were guaranteed to get into yum,
then I would agree with you.  However, if you release a program based
on yum that has code and functionality that never appears in yum
itself, then that is by definition a fork.  If you do that, then to
avoid ambiguity, you might consider naming it something other than
"yum".

I understand that you don't intend to deviate from yum in behavior.
You just want to get patches in early.  But because you can't know
what patches WILL get into yum, it's just not possible to lead yum
without risking going off in a different direction.  If you want to
say that your program is mostly-compatible or something, then fine,
but it could very confusing if some people thought they were
interchangeable.

How would you set the version?  What happens when your "yum" and the
the official yum happen to use the same version number but with
different code and behavior?

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx