[Yum] Removable media support in yum

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 10:25, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> >Suggestion:
> >  If you're going to send patches with new features - make the patches
> >for HEAD, not for 2.0.X - this feature, if it were to get in this form
> >AT ALL would not get in to 2.0.X.
> >

> Sorry, i'll do it cause in HEAD i don't see 'po/' folder for example and
> some files
> disapear to.
> try to do 'cvs update -dPA -r HEAD' in your yum cvs directory - you'll
> see it too :)

I'll fix it this evening. I didn't know that part was broken - my local
tree is fine - hence the problem.

> Heh, i make two variables ([u]mountcommand in yum.conf)- if you dislike
> current model
> just set it to empty line or /bin/false - and then yum just ask for new
> disk and don't
> try to eject/mount. Do you think what this behaviour must be default?

I think automatically ejecting/umounting filesystems is NOT something
that I ever want yum to do.

it's too error prone and doesn't belong internally. if a user is
changing disks, they can probably handle umounting a drive.

> little blackmail:
>     Can i  expect what this idea (removable support) appear in yum CVS ? :)

possibly

> Also I have lots of patches to yum (and this bored i18n patch too!) :)

some of your patches I don't agree with how they are implemented and in
some cases _what_ is implemented. I'd also like it if patches were
queued in via bugzilla - and referenced on the mailing list.

wrt the i18n patch - I applied part of that the other night but I've not
done a check in yet.

> Yes, i like this idea but how can i get DISKLABEL from cd? :)

its on the disk. look in the disk information iirc.

> How about this idea:
> yum -Rredhat9(3) /mnt/cdrom
> Then grab 3 cd and write to header.info something like this:
>
> 0:name-1.1-1.i386=NUMBER/path/to/name-1.1-1.i386.rpm

that's really really yuck-o syntax.

I'm focusing on making yum cleaner syntax and simpler to use.

Think gnome config dialogs since gnome 2.0.

-sv