[Yum] upgrade and update

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 03:34, Matthias Saou wrote:
> seth vidal wrote :
>
> > to clarify:
> > yum update - only updates packages you have installed does not include
> > or consult an obsoletes lists
> > yum upgrade - does updates + obsoletes
> >
> > I was thinking maybe dump upgrade as an option entirely and include a
> > new option - like -o/--obsoletes to include the obsoletes lookup.
>
> Oh no :-(
> For me, obsoletes should always be considered, it's a natural thing that
> may be very useful and get the user into weird situation if it is ignored
> (for instance, a newer "rpm" obsoleting "rpm-perl" in order to get the
> latter removed during an upgrade). I understand the reason why you want to
> remove it : Obsoletes loops. Lots of us have in mind the gated/zebra one
> from RHL 7.3 as an example, but that for me is a packaging bug!

Actually, I talked to Adrian Likins (up2date author) about this for a
bit - it's not just the 1 to 1 obsoletes that are to be worried about -
it's a larger obsoletes loop:
ie: foo obs bar
    baz obs foo
    bar obs baz

And in certain places this is already possible. This is why up2date
preprocesses obsoletes and breaks any loops.

> Sure, there will be obsoletes=[0/1] in the config file for the default
> behavior, but I really think considering obsoletes should be the default,
> and possibly let packagers/users turn it off for distributions where there
> are buggy obsoletes loops, as that is something that shouldn't happen
> anymore.

This is why I wanted this action - so you _could_ make it the default
rather than having to run yum upgrade.

-sv