[Yum] Re: upgrade and update

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:04:05PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hey all,
>  I was doing some thinking about upgrade vs update and the confusion
> around those two.
>
> to clarify:
> yum update - only updates packages you have installed does not include
> or consult an obsoletes lists
> yum upgrade - does updates + obsoletes

About "update": What happens if the new package requires other
non-installed packages? Will "update" pull them in?

apt-get has a similar concept: "upgrade" (comparable to "yum update")
does not change the rpm ensemble, e.g. no additions or removals, only
verion upgrades. Upgradeable packages requiring other new packages
"are being kept back". Is that what yum update should do?

> I was thinking maybe dump upgrade as an option entirely and include a
> new option - like -o/--obsoletes to include the obsoletes lookup.

How about the reverse? Dumping update and always considering obsoletes
and any other intra-package relationships. At least with apt I have
seen many reports of people not having upgraded their system properly,
because the apt-get dist-upgrade command was thought of being purposed
only for going from distro version to the next (which is also the
origin of this command).

> also have it matched with an obsoletes=1 in the config file.
>
> That would remove one source of confusion and let people who want to use
> obsoletes, always, just make a yum.conf modification and not modify
> their yum.cron job.

Just like Matthias, I'd ask to have obsoletes defaulted to "on".

Maybe instead have obsoletes unconditionally on and have a switch for
fault tolerance in obsoletes? E.g. if any obsoletes loop is created
display the problematic packages to the user for manual intervention,
remove them for the internal upgrade list and go on with the rest?
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx