[Yum] Re: yum upgrade to resolve obsoletes loops?

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:37:26AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > The policy I outlined above is to prefer whichever package is already
> > installed.
> >
> > Maybe yum could remove obsoleted packages in its upgrade computation?
> > That way if neither foo nor bar are installed, they won't get in with
> > a yum upgrade, and if on is installed, it will not start toggling.
>

> Think where that takes you.
>
> For example: a few years back openssh-server obsoleted sshd.
>
> By your description openssh-server wouldn't get in.

Only if sshd would have also obsoleted openssh-server. The case we are
talking about is more like zebra vs gated.

The idea is that whenever you have multiple possible solutions
(obsolete loops, conflicts and virtual packages provided by many
rpms), a way to prefer one solution would be to see, what the user has
installed. In the case of sshd vs openssh-servers you never have to
make the choice, because the ("upgrade") solution is unique.
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx