Re: Libvirt Daemon Question

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 05:56:06PM -0400, Michael Espinoza wrote:
Hi

I’ve been googling this for a bit with no luck.  Is there a way of
determining what mode an already running libvirt daemon is running
in.(session or system)  From the docs it sounded like it was determined by
what user started the daemon. But in a test node I set up, I have libvirtd

libvirtd running as root is a system daemon, for all other users it is a
session daemon

running as root yet I can still connect to both the session and system
qemus with virsh.

That's because the session daemon does not need to be started to connect
to it, virsh will start it when you want to connect and then it will end
itself after a certain timeout with no operation.

And if I were to want libvirtd only in session mode, how would I do
that?

Do not start the system daemon and also disable socket activation for
all the daemons you do not want to be used (if you are using systemd for
example).

Thanks for the help!  This stuff is really awesome and I’m just trying to
get a full understanding of it.

Glad we could help, enjoy the day ;)

-Mike
--