RE: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Moray Henderson wrote:

From: Michael Hennebry [mailto:hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 January 2012 14:13

From
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Release_Notes/sect-Releas
e_Notes-Changes_for_Sysadmin.html#id3021598
"If you need to install a new system from scratch, while starting user
accounts from 500 (to connect the system to a network with
globally-defined UIDs), install using a kickstart script that places
/etc/login.defs on the file system before package installation starts."

Actually, to someone with a clue, it's fairly precise.
Alas, that wasn't me.  I'm not in the target audience.
A portion of the pre-filesystem gets
copied to the post-filesystem.

'Tisn't clear whether one needs to specify a complete /etc/login.defs .

What I eventually did was to change my UID on F14.

Any Fedora developers care to comment here?

Although documentation is a major source of frustration in the Open Source
world, the other guys aren't really any better.  I just got a great pop-up
on Win 7 today: "A program running on this computer is trying to display a
message." It gave 2 options: "View the message" and "Ask me later".  I mean:
WHAT??

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
whom I teach not to run with scissors,