Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

In regard to: Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs, Michael Hennebry said (at...:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, root@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Firstly, for where to put the ks file, it would be easiest for you to remaster the boot CD, and put the ks file into the root directory of the CD, update the configuration for the CD's boot-loader to add something like "ks=cdrom:/fc14.ks", and then burn the resulting (modified) file-tree to a new CD disk

For a one-off install, in the absence of a provisioning environment like
cobbler, I personally think it's a lot easier to load the kickstart file
over the network.  Just do something like

- place your ks.cfg in a directory that is accessible via a URL
- tell anaconda to load the ks.cfg from the URL

	ks=http://your.web.host.here/url/path/to/ks.cfg

This assumes that the client you're kickstarting can get a DHCP address.
If not, assuming you have an IP reserved for it, you can kickstart it
so DHCP is not required:

	ks=http://your.web.host.here/url/path/to/ks.cfg \
		ksdevice=eth0 ip=<your ipv4 address here> \
		netmask=<your netmask here> \
		gateway=<your gateway here> \
		dns=dns_server1,dns_server2

Other useful parameters to anaconda include

	debug
	text
	noipv6
	syslog=<your syslog host here> loglevel=debug
	vnc vncconnect=host:port vncpassword=<your password>

To get around the too early/to late of %pre and %post, you may want to add a custom RPM archive file to the CD, have it dump the files into the being-created system, and run a command as part of its installation procedure that causes the newly added files to be read. Then reference the new RPM archive in the packages section of your ks file.

I don't understand from the initial post what the actual goal is, so it's
hard to know what to suggest here.  Unless I missed it, the original issue
has something to do with uids in the 101-499 range, but I have no idea
what the actual problem is.

I will say that you can do a lot in %post using things like "wget" to
fetch a remote tarball or zip and then using the contents of that archive
to perform further actions.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx