Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, root@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Firstly, for where to put the ks file, it would be easiest for you to remaster the boot CD, and put the ks file into the root directory of the CD, update the configuration for the CD's boot-loader to add something like "ks=cdrom:/fc14.ks", and then burn the resulting (modified) file-tree to a new CD disk

Wow.
The possibility that I might have to edit the CD had occurred to me,
but I had assumed my reasoning was wrong.
From here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html
it seems like I could use a kickstart file in
lots of places if I knew the magic formula.
Also if the instructions there apply when
one is using a minimal CD and a DVD image.
Also, I would need to know how to refer to a partition or a device.
It's my understanding that beginning with F15 or F16,
names like sdb2 are not reliable anymore.

To get around the too early/to late of %pre and %post, you may want to add a custom RPM archive file to the CD, have it dump the files into the being-created system, and run a command as part of its installation procedure that causes the newly added files to be read. Then reference the new RPM archive in the packages section of your ks file.

If that is really necessary, I might have to give up.
It might be easy if one knows how, but I don't.
I've never made an RPM before.
I've never used kickstart before.
For me, installing is something I've always
approached with fear and trepidation.
Something always goes wrong.
Also, that prescription seems rather a lot to
be inferred from just "use a kickstart file".

Assuming that I edit my CD image,
is making it bootable just a matter of ticking
the right flag on the burner program?
I'd always sort of expected that installer CDs were special.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
whom I teach not to run with scissors,