Network Kickstarting -

I read the two articles in Linux Magazine (January/February 2003) about
Kickstarting Compute Nodes via the network.  I read them several times and
configured everything as specified, with the minor corrections that I have
discovered when using Redhat 9 (I had some problems with PXE on a Dell 600SC
system and a web search indicated that I needed to change a pmtu setting in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4 and add a ?r blksize to the tftpboot settings in the
/etc/xinetd.d/mtftp and tftp files).  Everything now works as described in
the article, however after a compute node loads the linux.0 (NBP), linux.1
(kernel), linux.2 (initrd) files (I watch them with tcpdump), it does not
seem to try to pull the kickstart file that I specify in /etc/dhcpd.conf .
The compute node always ends up loading the basic text-based install program
and waiting at the ?Choose a language? section of the install process.  It
doesn?t read the settings that I have specified to automate the install via
the kickstart file.  If I go through the few text screens before getting to
graphical install and specify the NFS server that I have setup as specified
in the article, the install begins (so the NFS server is working).  However,
this obviously defeats the purpose of Kickstarting.

I read somewhere online that if there is an error in the kickstart file, it
will just load the default, screen-by-screen install program.  I
double/triple-checked my kickstart file, and I don?t see a problem (although
the use of = signs seems to be inconsistent between redhat versions and
their documentation).  And as I alluded to earlier, I watch the process via
tcpdump and I don?t see it even requesting the kickstart file.

While trying to figure out what was happening via some web searches, I found
out the following link that seems to describe the same problem (I think)
http://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2003-June/msg00009.html ; I'm
not sure if anyone has experienced something like this or if the problem
that I found in the link is what I am experiencing.

Any ideas that can help or provide some sort of a workaround would be most
appreciated.  The potential is there to kickstart these nodes and automate
installs, but it seems like I am a small tweak away from getting this
working.

If anyone would like to see any of my input files, let me know.

It is a good article and I imagine it is going to turn out to be some sort
of Redhat version thing, I'm just not sure what.

Bob Colbert