about reboots...

A question has come to mind. I don't do hundreds of kickstarts a year. I do a couple dozen, and I use this as a quick recovery tool more than as a rapid deployment tool. Someone has got to have an answer for this.

I'm installing common Dell servers, usually 1650's and 2650's. They have integrated e1000 nic's, so I'm using driver disks or modified bootnet's. These are servers, so I use static IP instead of DHCP. I'm installing a simple list of packages, and each floppy usually gets tailored a bit before install. It's still more convenient than doing it all manually.

If I set "reboot", the box comes up and reinstalls. If I don't set "reboot", the box waits for a prompt from a KB and requires a "head" during install. I've read recently here that LILO will not accomodate the continuing growth of the kernel image much longer. (As it stands now, the most recent kernel-BOOT image doesn't even fit on a floppy.) So, ... LILO's going to age out as the kernel grows, so I can't "bootloader --useLilo" and "lilocheck". It's already been presented on this list that GRUB's flexibility and design precludes any sort of "grubcheck" option.

With all that in mind, what options *do* I have for installing a headless box, that will not require me to press ENTER for an orderly reboot at the end, that will not reboot on its own and reinstall itself from my boot medium? I don't know PXE as well as I'd like, so I'm game to hearing that it magically detects installations and won't repeat them after reboot.

My apologies for drawing a total brain-blank on this. I'll appreciate someone clearing it up for me.

--

John Beamon
Systems Administrator