Problem with network card (isa ne driver) during nfs install

Hi all,

I am having some quite strange beghaviours with an nfs install. I think I have narrowed it down to the network card and am wondering if anyone can clarify my observations and questions.

RedHat 8.0

I am installing a device with an isa ne compatable network card (PC104 I think). It is basically an old 486 equivalent (i.e. slow :-)), a CDRW, 128 megs of RAM, and a 40 gig disk.

I do a kickstart install, booting off the linux cd 1.

boot: linux ks isa text

After selecting the ne network driver and configuring the base address and irq I have the machine ipaddress and kickstart file configured via dhcp. The kickstart config installs via nfs. The install runs fine - the ipaddress and kickstart file are configured via dhcp. As soon as the client mounts the install media via nfs, and starts reading the install media - the install just hangs. I see lots of these messages

eth0: mismatched read page pointers
eth0: mismatched read page pointers

Then lots of nfs server OK messages.

Doing a snoop with ethereal showed lots of NFS retransmits and TCP retransmit/timeout exceeded errors.

Doing a search seemed to indicate this may be a problem with the network card.

When I move to doing the install via the cd - the install works fine. But it hangs at the end of my kickstart file in the post section when I mount the install server manually and copy a few custom tarballs etc into place.

I removed this code from the kickstart file and ran it manually after install. I would imagine the card would be screwed after the install too. This doesn't seem to be the case. I am able run the same script manually to mount and copy a few tarballs into place.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be going on? I am wondering if it is a full duplex half duplex issue? This card is a 10 base t half duplex card and is plugged into a old hub. Everything else on the network is at half duplex 10 meg? Is the install process setting the card to full duplex by default - which then ends up being half duplex after the install?

I am not up on commands to determine that info for an isa card?

any help would be much appreciated or pointers on how to clarify what is happening.

thanks,

Michael

--
Michael O'Sullivan <mos@xxxxxxxx>
"A good man always knows his limitations" - HC