Re: about reboots...

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, John Beamon wrote:
> With all that in mind, what options *do* I have for installing a
> headless box, that will not require me to press ENTER for an orderly
> reboot at the end, that will not reboot on its own and reinstall itself
> from my boot medium?  I don't know PXE as well as I'd like, so I'm game
> to hearing that it magically detects installations and won't repeat them
> after reboot.

I've had good luck with the PXE-based method described here by
R P Herrold:

    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/hands-off/

I think putting something like 'bootloader --location=mbr' in the ks.cfg
file will redo your bootloader, avoiding the reinstall-on-reboot problem.
[Putting 'reboot' into ks.cfg reboots after installation, as you noted.]

Advantages: you don't need floppies or CDs, or even a PXE capability. (In
our case, I stick the ks.cfg file into the initrd image, so it's even a
bit simpler than on R P's page.) Setting up for the kickstart is eminently
scriptable, so the whole installation can be done with a single command,
possibly remotely (which, to me, is the kickstart Holy Grail).

Disadvantages: As R P notes, it's not a RH-supported method.
I haven't tried it on a headless machine.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | Server's poor response
-- University of New Hampshire  | Not quick enough for browser.