Re: KickStart with driver disk

Siao Yuan Tan (sy.tan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:

> Hello,
>
> I have a boot disk from the IDE RAID controller manufacturer and it
> requires me to boot with expert text and insert another driver disk.
>
> Can someone explain how I can make a kickstart from the above.
> Currently my kickstart boot from CD and read the kickstart file from a
> web server and install through ftp.
>
> Please help.

I can only try,

I had to guess which HighPoint card you are using; so I downloaded the
HPT37x RedHat linux driver from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ and inside
the zip file (that explodes without a nested directory.. grr) there are all
the ingredients you'd need to create a custom boot.img that _should_
enable you to no longer need a driver disk, i.e.:

Driver
     |- rh71boot.img                Red Hat 7.1 boot diskette image file
     |- rh72boot.img                Red Hat 7.2 boot diskette image file
     |- rh73boot.img                Red Hat 7.3 boot diskette image file
     |- rhdd
     |  |- dd                       Red Hat Linux driver diskette for RedHat 7.0/7.1
     |  |  |- postinstall           Post installation script
     |  |  |- vmlinuz.hpt37x2       Modified kernel image
     |  |  |- modinfo               Module info file
     |  |  |- modules.cgz           Compressed driver modules
     |  |  |- modules.dep           Module dependence file
     |  |  |- pcitable              HPT37x pci info
     |  |  \_ rhdd-6.1              Driver disk label

so you should be able to wing it (as in copy the needed hpt module out of
the dd modules.cgz and into the bootnet.img's modules.cgz (I assume you
want network support), update the bootnet.img pcitable accordingly, remove
drivers that you don't need in order to make room for the hpt, or use a
2.88 boot image); I'm not going to go into the details of updating the
driver disk (the list archives are your friend).. but all this said; I
have no idea if this is the driver you are looking to use... the driver I
downloaded was named: RedHat_v73_372_v133.zip

All this is rather painful, there are some RedHatisms the you could
embrace (anaconda-runtime's buildinstall and mk-images.i386) but at this
point the learning curve associated with getting the buildinstall to
actually work might be a bit steep...

Hope this helps,
Mike