Funcweb comments

Comments on Denis's work on funcweb...

Looks like it's moving along nicely.

A few comments:
-- in general, this is very nice stuff, thanks!
-- the echo "test' module has some very nice widgets in it, I especially like the hash/list input support. Excellent work on this.
-- the tooltips are also very very nice to have and querying works well.

So the big question is what else do we want to do with FuncWeb? The things I would like to see worked on, I think, are, in order:

-- One of the interesting uses of Func is to address multiple minions at the same time, so having a text entry field at the top to be able to enter in the "hostname" glob as with the command line would be very useful. This may change the way the "minons" view works. For instance, I would want to be able to go to one page/link and see all my minions, and then I might also want to be able to type in a glob into the text field and see which ones match. This means that when I run a command I would then we running that command against multiple hosts using Func, so when we show output, we can nicely seperate the output by each individual hosts. The individual methods that the user could browse could be queried from any one of the minions specifically, or we could just gather the data from a locally running funcd.

======

I think the new GUI might end up looking like this (in ASCII)

Hostname Pattern: ______________________________

Method (Click the name in the list of methods which is dynamically populated from the first host shown in the list)

[

service yumcmd service etc (all hyperlinks)

]

[

dynamically populated from when you select a method

]

[ GO BUTTON ]

[

Results Pane

]

======

So basically this would make things more vertically scrolling than horizontal. All the cool widget stuff could still be used as is, and we just teach it to be more about multi-machine operation.

-- I think it would be extremely nice to add some shiny rendering for the output. For instance, the output comes back as a hash of hostnames and the values for each hostname, so we could format this and perhaps render the reset of the data using some nice TurboGears widgets? Screen space is limited, so we may have to be clever with this. -- Make it use async API mode that pleple just implemented so long running operations can work better. Above we would have already done the multiple system support so this should just be some API changes for the most part. -- We'll want to instrument the info on the remaining methods so they show up in FuncWeb. This is boring work though so I'd prefer to get the exciting core stuff done first :) -- It's possible using the funcd minion module called "certmaster" to teach FuncWeb to sign incoming CSR requests that have not yet been signed. This way we can how what needs to be signed. This could be surfaced in the UI a bit more prominetly than the rest of the list. -- When clicking on a method that does not take any arguments, the "Run method" link should probably be a button -- "Submit Query" can just be changed to "Submit" because sometimes the actions are not so much queries as commands

Sound good? I'd say that's probably a good list of items to work on after getting funcweb packaged.

If anyone else wants to look at funcweb, makkalot's branch is git://github.com/makkalot/func.git (branch name: makkalot_extreme)

--Michael