Re: Funcweb comments

We talked about that on IRC but it is better to have it here :)

On Thursday 03 July 2008 06:26:42 pm Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Comments on Denis's work on funcweb...
>
> Looks like it's moving along nicely.
Thanks :)

> A few comments:
> -- in general, this is very nice stuff, thanks!
> -- the echo "test' module has some very nice widgets in it, I especially
> like the hash/list input support.  Excellent work on this.
> -- the tooltips are also very very nice to have and querying works well.
>
> So the big question is what else do we want to do with FuncWeb?   The
> things I would like to see worked on, I think, are, in order:
>
> -- One of the interesting uses of Func is to address multiple minions at
> the same time, so having a text entry field at the top to be able to
> enter in the "hostname" glob as with the command line would be very
> useful.   This may change the way the "minons" view works.   For
> instance, I would want to be able to go to one page/link and see all my
> minions, and then I might also want to be able to type in a glob into
> the text field and see which ones match.    This means that when I run a
> command I would then we running that command against multiple hosts
> using Func, so when we show output, we can nicely seperate the output by
> each individual hosts.  The individual methods that the user could
> browse could be queried from any one of the minions specifically, or we
> could just gather the data from a locally running funcd.
>
> ======
Not difficult to be implemented , the minion execution part will use glob
thing instead of one machine . Also the TextField can be some autocompletion
field like google's search . Tg has lots of these :)

> I think the new GUI might end up looking like this (in ASCII)
>
> Hostname Pattern: ______________________________
>
> Method (Click the name in the list of methods which is dynamically
> populated from the first host shown in the list)
>
> [
>
> service yumcmd service etc (all hyperlinks)
>

> ]

> [
>
> dynamically populated from when you select a method
>

> ]
>
> [ GO BUTTON ]
>
> [
>

> Results Pane
>
> ]
>
> ======
++
Vertical layout will be better , it will give us the chance to display all
that data more efficiently .

> -- I think it would be extremely nice to add some shiny rendering for
> the output.  For instance, the output comes back as a hash of hostnames
> and the values
> for each hostname, so we could format this and perhaps render the reset
> of the data using some nice TurboGears widgets?  Screen space is
> limited, so we may have to be clever with this.
Should we add some keyword to self describing API, or just guess the output
and parse it ?

> -- Make it use async API mode that pleple just implemented so long
> running operations can work better.   Above we would have already done
> the multiple system support so this should just be some API changes for
> the most part.
++
> -- We'll want to instrument the info on the remaining methods so they
> show up in FuncWeb.  This is boring work though so I'd prefer to get the
> exciting core stuff done first :)
No problem someone should do it :)

> -- It's possible using the funcd minion module called "certmaster" to
> teach FuncWeb to sign incoming CSR requests that have not yet been
> signed.  This way we can
> how what needs to be signed.  This could be surfaced in the UI a bit
> more prominetly than the rest of the list.
Cool

> -- When clicking on a method that does not take any arguments, the "Run
> method" link should probably be a button
> -- "Submit Query" can just be changed to "Submit" because sometimes the
> actions are not so much queries as commands

++

> Sound good?   I'd say that's probably a good list of items to work on
> after getting funcweb packaged.

Yep sounds interesting to me :)