Re: Async Call (Func 0.21, Certmaster 0.20)

Luca Foppiano wrote:
----- "Michael DeHaan" <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll test this and see if I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, having XMLRPC in is going to be nice.

As an aside, for common operations, like "directory contents", it
would be best to write a func minion module for those, so you could get back

structured data, as opposed to just parsing system commands. Combined with the json output format, that might not even be that bad to parse,
but yes, we want the XMLRPC version or at least the func-transmit idea
that Adrian was talking about.
How is the XMLRPC stuff going?  Is there a git branch somewhere we can
look at and possibly offer some help with?

XMLRPC stuff are developed slowly...right now there are some experiments, but nothing that work (only copy-paste with my crazy modifications). I studied a bit xend source, but I never had time to do a serious programming session..

I think func-transmit /might/ be a better approach for cross-language
connections if we are going to rely on permissions (i.e. Unix socket and/or ACLs), simply because the XMLRPC bindings for other languages may be hard to coerce to travel over a unix socket. For Python, we have
examples on how to do that, for other languages with XMLRPC bindings,
I'm not so sure it's that trivial.

AFAIK with groovy might be as simple as python...right now I tried only with xmlrpc server in python and client in groovy (with code I posted in this ML)...dunno with socket + xmlrpc

Perhaps you would like to implement something like func-transmit
instead?

func-transmit = xmlrpc + socket server?

Nope, func-transmit would be something like

func-trasmit < yaml > yaml

basically you could open up a reader and writer pipe to it, shove yaml in one side, and get yaml out the other.

(Or possibly some other format)

See Adrian's "standard in / standard out" post to the list.

It may make your XMLRPC method unneccessary and would /definitely/ be easier.
Luca