Re: Async Call (Func 0.21, Certmaster 0.20)

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Marco Mornati wrote:
I know what you say and I also know that ls command wasn't a good example :)

Anyway, where we are using async call is inside OpenSymbolic, and we have planned to use always async call because inside code we don't know if a specific command is a "long run" or not. As I read inside async documentation (on this ML to be exactly) the difference using nopoll is when the results are shown. if I want to "wait" for a result I don't need nopoll attribute (that will be printed when certmaster receive the anwer), else I need the "nopoll" but, as I seen there's no way to retreive the output string.

As you know we have code symbolic using groovy (java) so it's a bit difficult to call func using a python API (but I know it's the better way). I think for us, the better way to make a func call is using the XML-RPC (wip, I know) but I wanted to try to make this test using async call... Result: FAILED :S

I'll try inside our code without nopoll... but I don't exactly know what could happen... I'll report the results to you...

If you have any other ideas on async let me know
Thanks a lot Michael

Ah, didn't see the "byte-code" in the subject line.  It's all good.
Sorry... it was better a presentation before my questions :P

I'll test this and see if I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, having XMLRPC in is going to be nice.

As an aside, for common operations, like "directory contents", it would be best to write a func minion module for those, so you could get back structured data, as opposed to just parsing system commands. Combined with the json output format, that might not even be that bad to parse, but yes, we want the XMLRPC version or at least the func-transmit idea that Adrian was talking about. How is the XMLRPC stuff going? Is there a git branch somewhere we can look at and possibly offer some help with?
I think could be an hard job if I need to write a little module to make a simple operation. Now we are using command module especially to retrieve a system memory (grep Memory /var/log/dmesg) because when you are using a XEN virtualization if you try to obtain this information calling some other (direct) function (like hardware info), the memory you have as a result is: total - virtual machine assigned memory. So to have a standard way to obtain memory and then to calculate the virtual machine percentage assigned we are using dmesg information.

Luca has made some test on XMLRPC and I know (and see) that you have talked about the implemetation of this feature. We have some other things to code and test and then we will release a beta version for you (the problem is always our free time because we are both working on other "payed" projects ;))...
We will try to make something working next week...

I think func-transmit /might/ be a better approach for cross-language connections if we are going to rely on permissions (i.e. Unix socket and/or ACLs), simply because the XMLRPC bindings for other languages may be hard to coerce to travel over a unix socket. For Python, we have examples on how to do that, for other languages with XMLRPC bindings, I'm not so sure it's that trivial.

Perhaps you would like to implement something like func-transmit instead?

--Michael

Sorry but I don't really know what you mean with func-transmit... I think will not a big problem the XMLRPC binding on socket using java, but, as you saind, could be a problem in other languages...

Marco

--
Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco
Byte-Code s.r.l