Re: next steps...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:53:01 -0400
John.Florian@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> > From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Some other questions:
> >
> > Single git tree? Or tree per formula? A single one could get
> > overlarge, multiple are harder to discover.
>

> I've not personally used them, so I can't speak to their strengths or
> weaknesses, but what about git submodules?  (see "man git-submodule")

Very interesting. Finally had time to sit down and play with them. ;)

I think indeed this could help us. basically this allows you to add
other git repos to one at specific states. So, we could have seperate
git repos for formulas, then have several 'meta' repos. One for stable,
one for test one for devel or something. In each of those you can setup
submodules that point to whatever other repos you want and what commit
they are on. So:

foo.git - inital created formula

Gets added as a submodule to formulas-dev.git

Once it passes requirements,

Gets added as a submodule to formulas-test.git

each commit that passes whatever requirement, the commit thats pointed
to will be changed by a commit to the formulas-test repo.

Gets added as a submodule of formulas.git

etc.

Might work. I will try and write up a process/better expansion of
this. ;)

kevin