Re:

Tim via users wrote:
> > Never have our electoral processes asked for ID.  They just ask your
> > name and address, and cross you off a printed list.  And I agree that
> > it's a stunningly stupid way to run it.  Also, our elections are
> > *all* done by filling in a paper ballot slip, no technology at all.
> > Then labouriously manually counted.  It's very primitive.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> I disagree. I've worked on election systems and what people tend to
> forget is that the most important property is to ensure that the
> electorate will accept the result. The manual system used in the UK is
> highly distributed, completely visible and easily checked. It's also
> very fast and instances of actual fraud (personation or double voting)
> are minimal.

The "stunningly stupid" bit was virtually anonymous aspect.  They just
take it on face value that you are who you claim to be.  Granted we
don't have identity cards in this country, and as I pointed out a great
many people don't need them (don't drive, don't own firearms, don't
even have a bank account...).

Just about every voting system in the world has people who vote twice,
or dead people vote, this does nothing to help.  Although they claim
it's an insignificantly small number of such votes.

The "it's all done on paper" is the primitive bit, and we're hardly a
third-world country.

> [Granted, this is a First Past the Post system so the count is easy.
> Under PR (as in Ireland or Australia) the count can be complex and last
> for days, and in the US you tend to have multiple races running
> simultaneously and often on the same ballot paper, which also
> complicates things.]
>
> My point is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to
> verification. It depends on the context.

They always declare a winner well before they've counted all the votes.
It always makes me wonder if they get it wrong but don't advertise it.

The types of voting are another curse in themselves, designed more to
serve those who want to stay in power rather than give the electorate
democracy.  If you think you live in one, just try to get your local
representative to do something against their party's policies.  You'll
soon find that they don't represent you.

If our Xlotto system can input your 6 numbers of out 42 instantly, have
all the data loaded in before the draw, and automatically declare all
the winners later that night, why can't we use such a system?  It could
also stop illegitimate votes.

It uses either a swipe card for members with preselected numbers, or
one of those punch cards you fill in with a lead pencil.  Quite tried
and tested technology.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.