Re: Is there an equivalent of Ubuntu Pro for Fedora?

On Mon, 2024-07-15 at 11:08 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Ironically, the most hidebound sites tend to be banks, which in my
> experience don't even let you use a password manager (other than in
> copy-paste mode), which is by far the best way for the average user to
> get good non-repeating passwords.

My banking passwords are only stored in my head, so any technical
security flaws are down to them, but they have the dumbest ideas about
passwords (and customer relations).

One recently messed up my logon as part of their new security changes
(which they didn't tell us about).  While getting it fixed over two
phone calls, they wanted to set up SMS TFA, and I had a go at them over
how stupid that was (*), and how stupid their password construction
rules were.  During the call they told me there's another security
change coming soon, while I was telling them that they need to change
their slack security procedures immediately, where they'll allow us to
have longer passwords, and I told them they should let us know about
these things in advance.  I don't like wasting half an hour of my time,
or more, when I want to access my money.

* A common story in the news is someone will wake up and find that
their phone isn't working, which they just put down to one of the many
technical faults they have.  What's happened was someone with some of
their personal data has ported their phone number over to a new device,
done a password reset on their bank, used the fraudulent phone to
confirm the password reset, and then emptied their bank account.

The phone companies have very crap security at preventing that (number
transferring), and the banks are poor security at user identification
confirmation (some are easily satisfied with being told just your name
and birthdate over the phone).

Many years ago I set up a bank account with virtually no checks on my
identity - I don't have a drivers license, I didn't have any utility
bills in my name as it wasn't my property, all I had was another bank
account set up when I was a baby, a birth certificate, and a medicare
card (which doesn't verify your identity in the first place).  The
things they accepted were the kinds of things any thief could have
grabbed during a burglary.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.