Re:

Tim:
> > The phone companies have very crap security at preventing that (number
> > transferring), and the banks are poor security at user identification
> > confirmation (some are easily satisfied with being told just your name
> > and birthdate over the phone).
> >
> > Many years ago I set up a bank account with virtually no checks on my
> > identity - I don't have a drivers license, I didn't have any utility
> > bills in my name as it wasn't my property, all I had was another bank
> > account set up when I was a baby, a birth certificate, and a medicare
> > card (which doesn't verify your identity in the first place).  The
> > things they accepted were the kinds of things any thief could have
> > grabbed during a burglary.

jdow:
> And I suppose that despite your lack of ID you feel you should be
> able to vote in elections? That is an activity that can ruin your
> life much more thoroughly than the postulated phone number swap. You
> can get ID cards that would make little things like check cashing a
> whole lot less bothersome and can prove citizenship (or it's lack)
> when it is time to vote or ID yourself to the bank,
> {O.O}

Never have our electoral processes asked for ID.  They just ask your
name and address, and cross you off a printed list.  And I agree that
it's a stunningly stupid way to run it.  Also, our elections are *all*
done by filling in a paper ballot slip, no technology at all.  Then
labouriously manually counted.  It's very primitive.

Though I'd argue that someone having their entire life's savings stolen
probably is much more worse than whoever is (badly) running the
country.  None of them know what they're doing, and neither side is
much different from the other (we have a two-party preferred system,
where major obstacles are put in the way of any other group that'd like
to form a party, so only two long-standing parties can manage to exist
and one of them form the government, we also have compulsory voting).

There is very little in our lives that actually require positive proof
of who you are, or even need to know anything about you.  Driving is
one, you have the potential to kill someone, disqualified bad drivers
do need to be disallowed.  People who take out huge loans need to be
kept accountable, etc.  But most of the things we do don't require it.

And yes I agree that an unidentified bank account holder is a bad
thing, that was my point - that they just capitulated when I told them
I couldn't provide the ID they wanted.  It didn't take longer than 30
seconds for me to set up an account, in person in the bank, that could
have been used for money laundering.

Identity theft is a major problem.  People lose their savings,
impersonators commit crimes in their name, and its next to impossible
for the victim to clear things up.  Some suffer decades of police
harrassment and court appearances defending themselves against things
they haven't done, made worse by the authorities being well aware of
their circumstances and the crimes being committed interstate while the
victim has confirmable alibies.

None of the identity proofs that we could carry properly vet that you
are who you say you are, and identity theft is far too easy.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.