Re: GPT Partition

> Am 15.09.2023 um 23:05 schrieb Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx>:
>
> On 09/15/2023 02:20 PM, John Mellor wrote:
>> Fedora desktop uses BTRFS by default for a number of really good reasons.  BTRFS detects bit-rot on the fly.  With mirrored or RAIDed disks it can also correct that bit-rot on the fly.
>
> And what advantages does either it or LVM have for a home user with one desktop and one laptop?

Well, the Workstation Edition Working Group discussed that about 1 or 2 years ago, I don’t remember the time. I didn’t participate in that discussion. But I strongly assume they carefully weighed the technical arguments at hand and then came to the decision that for most desktop use cases BTRFS is the better solution **overall**. So this became the default configuration. The user can decide otherwise during the installation.

Forget all the detail-obsessed single bogus arguments like "can also correct the bit-red on the fly".  In the end, this is a highly complex technical consideration and each solution has its advantages and disadvantages.

Fedora is known for its high technical quality and for ensuring secure usage already in the default configuration. From the technical side, it is therefore generally best to use the default configuration!

>From the *practical* side, perhaps it would be worth considering whether your use case is the usual and common case - 6-16 GB RAM, 500GB - 1TB disk, regular (hourly) backup, etc. And in case of emergency, you are the only one affected, not hundreds of other users at the same time. With the workstation default configuration, you give up the separation of system and user data that has been proven for Unix systems for decades, in favor of greater flexibility and less administrative effort. I think this is a sensible decision in view of today's disk technology. But don't fall for the "/" and "/home" subvolumes. That's not a Unix-proven separation, it is just a logical grouping, especially to enable image-based backups / snapshots. In the worst case of a file system error or a serious operating system error in the ROOT subvolume, all your data is lost and you need the backup. A BTRFS subvolume is not a separate filesystem as a LVM volume is! But most likely you will either never or most rarely in a few years, experience such a disaster. Until then, you can use and enjoy the benefits of BTRFS.

For a server with 8, 12 or more TB disks (and user data) and maybe hundreds of users the situation is quite different. Therefore we decided for LVM/XFS, giving data protection, reliable and as possible uninterrupted operation and, in the worst case, damage with the least possible effect the highest priority -  at the cost of increased administration effort and higher costs.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST /UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast