Re: WD BLUE SSD died. Not even seen in BIOS or via USB?

On 13 Jul 2023 at 10:09, George N. White III wrote:

From:	"George N. White III" <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:	Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:09:08 -0300
Subject:	Re: WD BLUE SSD died. Not even seen in BIOS or via USB?
To:	mikes@xxxxxxxx,
	Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Send reply to:	Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 3:19 AM Michael D. Setzer II via users
> <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hopefully, this is just a random failure and others will be running
> for years. Had some maxtor drives that were still running after 10
> years. Drive was made in 09Sep2022 so isn't even a year old, so
> surprized WD said it was out of warranty??
>
> Did you buy the drive at retail or did it come with a system? Can you
> compare the labelling with a similar WD drive? There have been
> issues with old drives being sold as new after "editing" S/N and
> dates, and drives that fail quality controls somehow escaping the
> shredder.

Drives where purchase via ebay. Found I had 18 messages in my
ebay folder that had WD BLUE in them. Seems there are usually 3
messages for each order, once for order, shipping, an then when
received. some orders were single drives, while others were for 2
at a time. Also had ordered some WD Green disks. Not sure what
difference is between BLUE and GREEN. Also, orders don't list
serial numbers, so can't like drives to which seller. All disks had
same packaging. Have bought over 1300 item on ebay, and this is
first one I've had a bad issue. Guess I should do better tracking of
orders to link serial numbers. Sent them pictures of top and
bottom of disk, and also info on other drives.

Other WD Disk I have.
The disk in my notebook is:
       product: WDC  WDBNCE0010P
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 1
       bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 00RL
       serial: 202180800775
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512
sectorsize=512 signature=7c819ab2
>From another computer
       product: WDC  WDBNCE0010P
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 20RL
       serial: 215009A000E9
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512
sectorsize=512 signature=7c819ab2
This is the disk that I had to reinstall in that computer that the
pictured one died it. I had originally imaged it to the SSD drive.
Put it back in, and it had the old Fedora 35, so had to run an
upgrade to Fedora 36, and then to Fedora 37. So took a few hours.
  *-disk
       product: WDC WD10EZEX-21W
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 1A01
       serial: WCC6Y2FPSVC2
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512
sectorsize=4096 signature=da524728
Another Computer
 *-disk
       product: WDC  WDBNCE0010P
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 20RL
       serial: 21112S803161
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512
sectorsize=512 signature=da524728
Another Computer
 *-disk
       product: WDC  WDBNCE0010P
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 20RL
       serial: 21164X805221
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512
sectorsize=512 signature=da524728
I've got a hard drive exactly the same as the one that failed that
I've not installed. Everything is same, but serial number ends with
54 instead of 65.

So, don't know if that one is likely to end up dead as well.
Might have to look at mirror setup, so that a failure of a single
drive would keep data.

> Excerpts from
> <https://www.westerndigital.com/support/store/warranty-policy >:
>
>     If your Product was purchased as a component integrated within a
>     system by a system
>     manufacturer, no limited warranty is provided by WD. Please contact the
>     place of
>     purchase or the system manufacturer directly for warranty service
>
>     Recertified Products
>
>     WD recertified products may consist of customer return units and may be
>     repaired.
>     All products are tested and determined to meet WD's stringent quality
>     standards
>     before they are sold as recertified. Please note that some recertified
>     items may
>     have marks, scratches, or other slight signs of wear.
>
>     Recertified product purchases made on the WD Store website:
>
>       Prior to August 20, 2019, carry a manufacturer's limited warranty of 6
>     months.
>       On or after August 20, 2019, carry a manufacturer's limited warranty
>     of 12 months.
>

> --
> George N. White III

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer