Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On 28/11/22 17:40, Tim via users wrote:
Tim:
YouTube is a distributed service (cached, proxied, multiple servers),
and content-negotiated (your browser, your device, your available
bandwidth).  There's no guarantee that two different people receive the
same data for the same request (the HTML page, nor the video file).
Especially if you're coming from different areas of the world.

It does make debugging this sort of thing hard.
Stephen Morris:
Sure but when the same youtube video that plays fine in Firefox nightly
in Windows doesn't play in "the same version" of Firefox nightly in
fedora and also won't play in fedora in Google Chrome then there is an
issue with linux.
I'm not saying it mightn't be, but then it might not.  Those are *all*
different browsers, YouTube *can* treat each one differently.

When a browser connects to a server it identifies itself with browser
name, version number, your operating system, and may also claim to be
the original Mozilla.  Any one of those details can cause the server to
give you different content (content negotiation is a two-way thing with
browser and server).

Here's the browser string from one of mine:
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0"

A change in any detail can change the server behaviour, including a
complete foul up because it tries to be too clever, and doesn't know
what to do with a new browser identifier string.

It also doesn't make any difference if I try to play videos from the
American youtube of the Australian youtube.
I wonder if you can actually do that without going through something
like a VPN?  These days, if you try changing domains on an
international site, you may always get the local service.

I can't remember if this has been brought up, but have you tried
flushing the cache?
I have. I have firefox set to flush the cache and remove cookies on close.
I have done some more tests and it seems to be an audio issue. If I mute the videos they play fine. I'll need to try and figure out what the pulseaudio issue is.

regards,
Steve