Re: ssh infested by systemd.resolved

Matthew Miller writes:

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 06:34:48PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> but it was mostly working, so stayed under the radar, until the
> recent update broke it. Additionally, the systemd-resolved rpm is
> actively hijacking /etc/resolv.conf. From the package's scriptlet:

Sam, can you _please_ not use such colorfully-negative lagnguage here?

None of this is "infestation", "hijacking", or something to "fumigate". This
is all from an approved Change for Fedora Linux 33, which you can read here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/systemd-resolved, and which was
documented in the release notes at
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/f33/release- notes/sysadmin/Networking/.

This looks like an appeal to authority, and not an argument on its own merits.

But let's go back and revisit all of that, if you insist.

# Fedora will continue its history of enabling new systemd-provided services
# whenever it makes sense to do so.

Note that this statement assumes that it "makes sense to do so". There's no preceding discussion, or overview, that ever defined an objective standard that established any metric for the "makes sense to do so", or not, part. What does "makes sense to do so" mean?Just a simple statement that "it makes sense to do so", and that was the end of the discussion.

# Standardizing on upstream systemd services is beneficial to the broader
# Linux ecosystem in addition to Fedora, since standardizing reduces
# behavior differences between different Linux distributions.

Really? The majority of Linux distributions already adopted systemd- resolved, when this was proposed?

# Sadly, Fedora is no longer leading in this area. Ubuntu has # enabled systemd-resolved by default since Ubuntu 16.10, so by the time # Fedora 33 is released, we will be three years behind Ubuntu here.

This is the part that actually prompted me to do decide to reply – I was going to let it go, at first.

But I just happened to have have Ubuntu 20 right here, recently installed, without any customizations. Let's take a look.

mrsam@ripper:~$ uname -a
Linux ripper 5.13.0-39-generic #44~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 24 16:43:35 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
mrsam@ripper:~$ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

Nope, no systemd here. I have no recollection if editing this manually. This is what I ended up with, after installing Focal.

/etc/resolv.conf is pointing to systemd's resolver, but there's no redirection in nsswitch.conf.

So, grand total: the status of systemd-resolved in Ubuntu was apparently used to propose doing something that systemd-resolved was /not/ configured for, in Ubuntu.

Or maybe systemd-resolved was also hooked in nsswitch.conf originally, in Ubuntu 16, and Ubuntu decided to back away from that?