Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management

On Mon, 2022-02-21 at 07:05 -0600, c. marlow wrote:
> I dont mind people coming to me OL... Until they say mean and hateful
> things in their email. And then, you get a special filter set up in
> your honor that has Claws silently delete your emails and not let me
> know that you sent me something :)

I don't know about other countries, but it's actually illegal to send
harassing mail, there's nothing that excludes email from that law.
Mind you, unless it was death threats you're unlikely to get anyone to
take action on it.

I just decided that I'd had enough of it, and wasn't going to deal with
any more.  People can contact me off-list, but either they mention it
on-list and I reply (if I want to), or they do some sleuthing to figure
out how to contact me.

But it's not just harassing mail, some people are just plain nuts and
you can do without having to deal with the weirder stuff they talk
about when they're not in the public eye.  Many years ago I responded
back to a mailing list to a stupid private email, just so everyone
could see what they were like.

Tim:
>> If you use the usual public services, gmail, yahoo, etc., they all
>> have uncontrollable and fallible anti-spam systems.  It means you
>> have to continually check your junk mail folder for false positives

> You can turn off Gmail's spam filtering:

Over time there's been discussions about that, but consensus was that
you can't.  Attempting to do so my throttle it somewhat, but not
completely disable it.

While it makes sense to have it detect mail from false addresses and
spam-bin them, it's overzealous and fallible at coming to that
conclusion.  There's a lot of genuine mail that doesn't meet their
criteria for authenticated.

List mail often confused it, and there's a plethora of service
providers that don't authenticate their user's mail as being verified.
When you send through a SMTP server that requires you to log in, and
you're a customer that somehow they've previously verified your
identity, they should be flagging the mail as it goes through in a way
that other servers trust.  Not all do.  And, of course the spam houses
will fake that trust, anyway, for their own posts.

> And for an extra bonus:
>
> TO = myaddress@xxxxxxxxx ( never send to spam)

I had tried that kind of thing before, but other non-user-
controllable anti-spam filters were in effect *before* user
customisable ones.

While that may have changed, I kind of doubt it.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.53.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 14 13:59:45 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.