Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management

On Sun Feb20'22 08:24:27PM, Community Support for Fedora Users wrote:
> From: Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:24:27 +1030
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cc: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management
>
> On Sat, 2022-02-19 at 09:45 -0600, c. marlow wrote:
> > HostGator offers Google Workspaces but I don't want to have to move
> > 5 accounts to the new GW accounts and plus, just using HostGator's
> > default email service, I get unlimited accounts vs having to pay for
> > each one with GW.
> >
> > But then I started thinking this morning, WHY did I move to IMAP? I
> > only check my email on my computer. I had the new account set up on
> > my phone, but it got annoying to change accounts every time I open
> > the gmail app from the free account that i've had since 2015 and
> > don't use for anything to the new account for my domain. So I wound
> > up removing the new account off of my phone.
>
> You could probably consolidate your gmail accounts (if you wanted to),
> or at least pull mail from one to the other (again if you wanted to).
>
> Over the years I've accumulated a few email accounts, but long ago
> realised various problems with that:  Choosing which address to tell to
> someone to contact me via, using email clients which didn't
> automatically reply using the same account details that the message
> came from, dealing with losing accounts I didn't want to lose (closing
> ISPs, etc), and the more accounts the more spam you receive.

Excellent points. I have tried to address the following by having four email accounts. One provided by my employer, and what I call my "main account". Has to do with work-related things and I use fetchmail to fetch email. I have a second email address for mailing lists, that I never check or fetch from, but use to email to mailing lists (yes, this one). The third email address is for everybody else but family, and I use that for everything unrelated to work and family. I use fetchmail to fetch email, but do not bother with fetching spam. GMX.com has a helpful feature where they summarize all the headers of messages marked spam and email me everyday and I use that to unmark spam as needed. The last email address is for family and even messages to spam there are attempted to be fetched, but the email address is not given out, and stays within the family.

Works for me.

Ranjan