Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management

On 2/14/22 11:01, c. marlow wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:43:07 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IMAP is just more functional than POP ever was with better security
features; though Peter Resnick of Qualcomm would regal us with
stories of maintaining Eudora for their CEO for years after there
were other better choices, but he started on Eudora, and it was
Qualcomm's product and he was going to keep using it...  Worked for
me!

I noticed that IMAP is SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW because Claws
checks every folder for new mail, when my email is only filtered when
I launch Claws.

I did find a way to right click on a folder and go to properties and
uncheck " CHECK FOR MAIL"... So basically Claws skips over checking
that folder for new mail.

I only check my inbox for new mail.  I don't use any sieves or other tools to move incoming mail to specific folders, and I leave that to Thunderbird.  Actually I have no special folders on the server.  All filtered mail is moved to local folders.

I switched all those years ago from Eudora to Thunderbird, still POP.
There was a nice utility to convert Eudora mail folders to that used
by Thunderbird.  In fact just last year an old friend was FINALLY
getting of Eudora and asked if anyone knew how, so I dug the program
out of my archives for him.

Over all these years I have been using Thunderbird with all its
warts. But then really they all have warts.

I don't think that I could use TB... I like the MH file format, less
chance of corruption.

Only corruptions I have had for years has been in the index.  These are easily rebuilt when they go bad.

Oh and just updated my wife from Thunderbird on XP to Thunderbird on
Win10, and she is complaining on how things are different...

Good lord!!!!Your wife was still using Windows XP and had XP hooked up
to the internet?

And what it took to get some of her apps working!  But she was never really "connected".  She is behind 2 firewalls and only opens graphics and other attachments from known sources, and then Comodo filtered for checking content.  For her limited web access, she is behind a proxy firewall and really does very little online.  Just not her interest/style; I do almost all the family online shopping from my Fedora system.  Actually it was the need to get a newer Firefox to run embedded code from some banking sites that finally forced the hand for her to be willing to update!

She is complaining about loosing the XP Search app.  It is her go-to tool to find whatever doc she needs to work on.  File Manager search is just strange.  "Why do I have to put asterisks in my search string.  I never had to do that before!"  And don't get me started on the Windows 10 default picture program(s).  I am going to have to search around and see if I can get something worth her time to use. I spent over an hour Sunday, getting a bunch of pics printed as she wanted them; got to be a better tool than what M$ supplies (I use gthumb for most of my pic printing).

And what it took me to turn off all the M$ ad stuff all over the desktop.  "We own you..."  Of course turning off Firefox and google ad stuff, even with Adblock Plus was a pain.

At least Office 2003 installed OK.  ;)

But Noteworthy Composer setup just would not run.  It is a Win98 (or was that Win95?) app that is her main use app for her tutoring. Finally I worked out I could just copy the whole program folder for the XP system over to the Win10 system and it works.  Whew!  She never wanted to learn the new version's methods even when we moved to XP!  "Works well enough for me."